This just came to my attention, it seems there are a few heavyweights behind this and the document is rapidly making the rounds through blogging circles, feeds etc. The declaration is to the point and clearly written. I wondered when something like this would happen and let’s hope that it is effective.
If you want to sign the declaration go to their website: http://www.internetdeclaration.org/
We believe that a free and open Internet can bring about a better world. To keep the Internet free and open, we call on communities, industries and countries to recognize these principles. We believe that they will help to bring about more creativity, more innovation and more open societies.
We stand for a free and open Internet.
We support transparent and participatory processes for making Internet policy and the establishment of five basic principles:
- Expression: Don’t censor the Internet.
- Access: Promote universal access to fast and affordable networks.
- Openness: Keep the Internet an open network where everyone is free to connect, communicate, write, read, watch, speak, listen, learn, create and innovate.
- Innovation: Protect the freedom to innovate and create without permission. Don’t block new technologies, and don’t punish innovators for their users’ actions.
- Privacy: Protect privacy and defend everyone’s ability to control how their data and devices are used.
- Declaration of Internet Freedom (marissamullins.com)
- How does Internet freedom impact academic freedom? (hastac.org)
- Blacknight Signs Declaration of Internet Freedom (prweb.com)
- Declaration of Internet Freedom brings tech heavyweights together (cbc.ca)
Leave a Reply